Saturday 27 April 2013

The Final 7th Bead Soup Blog Reveal!


After weeks of faffing, changing my mind, froggin' it and hours of enjoyable playing I can't believe I've actually managed to finish anything, but finish I have! Here's a reminder of the beautiful bead soup my partner Karen Mitchell of Over the Moon Design sent me:

 

I've used the majority of the first soup (although my poor key had a wee accident and is currently under repair) and borrowed a little from the 'dessert' and these are pieces I've completed:

1) Autumn Sunset Necklace and earrings.

I used the beautiful sari silk together with a strip of green I 'borrowed' from my daughter's skirt and I made my first ever kumihino braid using a homemade kumi-disc. I loved the wooden tree pendant so much it was the first item I used from my soup. To zing it up and make more autumnal (it's autumn here in Oz) I added bead 'apples' from the soup. The bail and end caps I hand made (because I couldn't find anything suitable) and I used the gorgeous barrel beads to add interest. The necklace is finished off with brown cord and a simple pair of sliding knots to compliment the earthy feel.

 

2) Jaded Peacock Necklace and Earrings.

I'm really pleased with these. This is my first proper attempt at wire work. Originally I was trying to create leaf shaped links to finish off the Autumn Sunset necklace but when I attached the chain to the kumihino braid it didn't feel right. Plus the leaves looked more like peacock tail feathers. So the chain became a necklace in it's own right, accented with the african jade, czech crystals and the spicy little rondelles from the soup. I felt it needed a focal so I used one of the gorgeous czech pin-wheels (I've got plans for the other one) and finished it off with my first ever home made clasp. Lots of tool marks but I'm still dead chuffed!

3) Hippy Chic Bracelet and Earrings.

I was going to use the gorgeous hammered toggle clasp on the Jaded Peacock necklace but belatedly realised I should have used a gold coloured wire. So I used Vintaj Patinas to alter it's colour and it suddenly became too funky for the more delicate style of the necklace. And yes, first time I've used Vintaj Patinas too! The funky feel seemed to cry out for the vibrant big rainbow quartz beads and the gorgeous kasmiri bead from the dessert. A bit of matching embroidery floss and a macrame session later this is what they looked like:

I've still got lots of plans for the bits I didn't use and I must say a HUGE thank you to Karen Mitchell for making me the best soup and for really showing me the way for my first BSBP. And another HUGE thank you to Lori Anderson for the gargantuan effort of organising it all. You're an amazing lady Lori.

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my creations. Be sure to go visit the other participants.

Participants in the 3rd reveal:

http://www.prettythingsblog.com/2013/04/welcome-to-7th-bead-soup-blog-party-3rd.html

Complete list of Participants:

http://lorianderson-beadsoupblogparty.blogspot.com.au/p/past-party-reveals.html

 

44 comments:

  1. Hi Penny! I love the bracelet you've made with the rainbow quartz. He colours of the thread work beautifully. I used Vintaj Patinas on my piece too :) The "little apples" on the Kumihimo necklace are very cute.
    Let me know if you'd like me to send an extra key, I have a few spare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I'm in the middle of making something with the broken key. Strangely inspired by it.
      But I'd kill for more of those rainbow quartz beads. Where did you get them from. They are like solid bubbles.

      Delete
  2. Lovely soup and beautiful results! Your wirework is really great, and I LOVE those earrings to match the first necklace...what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be "dead chuffed"Penny. The things you made are fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your results!! Especially the Autumn Sunset Necklace... :D

    ~Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Beautiful sets filled with creativity & color! What a YUMMMY Soup you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious jewelry. Love the summery colors.
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just loved the autumn sunset set. The earrings are so clever. And the jaded peacock is simply lovely. Your soup was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bead apples look good enough to eat! Congrads on the success of your first Kumi braid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your set, your wirework is great!
    you did also that cute sign? lovely.
    ciao dall'Italia

    ReplyDelete
  10. First attempt at wirework???!!! SO envious! It turned out awesome!!! ALso I'm in love with the tree necklace. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did with the tree pendant! The beads really made it unique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything, especially the necklace with the wooden tree pendant - it definitely has an autumn feel. Happy Fall/Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just can't decide which is my favorite! They are all so beautiful! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the vibrancy of the first necklace, so very pretty. Great pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe that it was your first time making chain. I just love that necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. super work with wire/ not only for the first time!!!!!/and great use of fabric!SUPER!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! Those are all such great pieces! Your wire work is incredible. I Love that copper necklace. The blue set is really cute, and the first set would be perfect for fall! Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Penny - WOW!!! I love that you made your own kumihimo disk, and the resulting necklace is just incredible - love those vibrant colors, the "apple beads" you added to the tree, and the bail and end caps you made. Too cool! Your peacock necklace is outstanding - seriously, your FIRST attempt at wire work? (mutter, mutter, sure wish MINE had looked that good...do you have any idea how much wire I wasted/still waste?!??? mutter, mutter, mutter) And I love the fun approach to the last piece - the colors and styling go together so well. Penny, you are definitely a mixed media kind of girl, aren't you? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely jewellery! You must have put loads of work into it and it definitely paid off! The hippy chick bracelet and earrings are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, lovely jewellery!! I love the wire work on the Jaded peacock necklace - really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I especially like the way you use ribbons. The Sunset set is my favorite, it is so colorful, rich enough, simple enough, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the wire work necklace-- I have also been working in wire and metal and I love the look of it----you made a very tasty meal

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely collection you have made. Just love all the earrings. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your wire work - love the colors - love the designs. What can I say. Perfect work with this wonderful soup!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great pieces...your wirework is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, love all the different media you have used, very creative and versatile. Love the wirework.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how you placed the barrel beads in the apple tree necklace, and the apples are adorable!

    The Boyfriend and I enjoyed your Nelly-moment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! I can't believe that this was your first attempt with wirework, the result is amazing. I also luve the colors of the funky hippie set very much. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Everything is just wonderful right from the cute clay sign to the last piece! Great job using up that soup!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great wire work. Love all your creations.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  31. I do agree to all that comments above - great wirework, Penny! You've made a lovely cooking. Also like the banner, you've made for the Blog Party - it's a great idea of honour this wonderful event!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice use of the fiber! Lovin' your wire work too! Soup-er talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ooooh - how lovely, your wirework is fabulous , love the apples too.

    Frogging it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lol! I've picked up some beading slang somewhere! When you do a piece you're not entirely happy with you might rip-it apart. rip-it sounds a bit like 'ribbit' which is the sound frogs make (at least in my homeland they do)

      Delete
  34. Wow, your wire work is amazing. I love the jaded peacock necklace and earrings. All great pieces. P.s I've always wondered what this 'frogging it' was all about and thanks to the comments above now I know! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Penny you made wonderful designs. Kudos for trying kumihimo, wirework, a clasp, and patina.You really captured an autumn sunset in the first piece.

    ReplyDelete
  36. First please forgive my very bad English...
    I never see such wonderful designed jewelry! Love all Your pieces and wish they be mine ;o))
    Best wishes and greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Isn't Karen a fantastic partner? She was mine during the last BSBP!
    All of your designs turned out wonderfully. I'm smitten, though with that first set. And, I don't normally care for orange. However, your apple tree, kumihimo, and fun earrings really seal the deal for me. They're inspirational to say the least and awesome to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your sets are really pretty. I just love the knotting. Great job with your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very creative use of your soup. Love all of the use of fiber. And your wire work is lovely, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great soup ingredients you were sent! I just love your earring designs and could see myself wearing them all. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  41. what a wonderful soup u got!! i like the autumn sunset and jaded peacock collection very much and think u did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely sets!! Your wirework and knotting are fabulous!@

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :-)